2 hrs 30 mins
Slow-cooking intensifies the flavor in this beef-bean-and-vegetable stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dry navy beans or 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed or 2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 -2 teaspoon snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1If using dry beans, rinse beans.
- 2In a large saucepan combine drained beans and the 4 cups water.
- 3Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 4Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 7(Or, place beans in water in pan. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
- 8Place flour and pepper in a plastic bag.
- 9Add beef pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- 10In a 4- or 6-quart Dutch oven brown half of the beef in 1 tablespoon of the hot oil; remove beef.
- 11Add remaining oil, remaining beef, onion, and garlic to Dutch oven.
- 12Cook until beef is brown and onion is tender.
- 13Drain fat, if necessary.
- 14Stir in wine, scraping until the brown bits are dissolved.
- 15Return all beef to Dutch oven.
- 16Stir in beans, soup stock or broth, tomato, and dried thyme (if using).
- 17Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 18Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- 19Add carrots and parsnips.
- 20Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- 21Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes more or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- 22Stir in fresh thyme (if using).
- 23If desired, garnish with parsley.
- 24*Note:If using canned beans, decrease soup stock or broth to 1 cup.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country French Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.9
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 441.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: