Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A casserole with chicken, potatoes, mushroom, onions and bacon in a great tasting gravy! I grill my chicken but a friend of mine batters and fries hers...so you can do it either way, your preference. You dont have to fry everything in the bacon grease, it does take a little away from the flavor, but it tastes great even if you use olive oil, vegetable oil or butter. Cooking time includes the baking time as well the frying you do during prep.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 medium vidalia onion (Sweet)
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 large potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup canned mushroom (1 Cup Fresh)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook the bacon; crumble and set aside; reserve bacon grease.
- Peel and cube the potatoes; fry potatoes in bacon grease.
- Dice the onion; season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and fry in the bacon grease.
- Fry the mushrooms in the bacon grease.
- Coat the chicken breasts with melted butter and season with salt and pepper and grill (I used the George Foreman grill).
- After the chicken is cooked, cut into cubes.
- Take Cream of Chicken soup and mix with 3/4 cup broth and season with pepper to make a sauce.
- In an 8x8 glass dish combine chicken, mushrooms, onions and potatoes. Top with sauce and mix it all up so everything is coated in the sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil, top with crumbled bacon and bake an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.
This was great! I used homemade cream of chicken soup that had tons of onion, garlic and carrot in it, so I didn't add extra onion, but I did fry up a chopped shallot with the potatoes. (omitted the mushrooms as we just don't like 'em!) I sauted the chicken in the bacon grease before doing the potatoes. I used turkey bacon and added some cheddar cheese on top. I'd definitely add more cheese to the casserole next time, mixed right in. Loved the texture of the potatoes. YUM!
Mrs. Parker you have a lovely recipe! I am cooking for 1 so I cooked one salted and peppered chicken breast, basted with melted butter, on a cast iron grill pan, cooked 2 slices bacon, drained the bacon grease and deglazed the pan with about 1/2 cup of white wine. Added some left over diced potatoes that was cooked in butter with onions, and about a 1 1/2 cup frozen home made mushroom soup #50484. I combined the cooked and cubed chicken with the sauce and baked in a small corning ware casserole dish in a toaster oven for 30 minutes @ 400 degrees adding the cooked chopped bacon the last 10 minutes. I forgot to add garlic ( and I love garlic) still it was plate licking good. Thanks for posting
This was amazing!! Comfort food at its best! I grilled the chicken, sauteed the onions and mushrooms in olive oil, fried the bacon and crumbled it. With the potatoes, I peeled and cubed them and added them raw without cooking and they came out nice and tender without the precooking! I joined the site just to rate this recipe if that gives you any idea how good this was! Thanks so much for sharing!