Recipe by Mrs. Parker
A casserole with chicken, potatoes, mushroom, onions and bacon in a great tasting gravy! I grill my chicken but a friend of mine batters and fries hers...so you can do it either way, your preference. You dont have to fry everything in the bacon grease, it does take a little away from the flavor, but it tastes great even if you use olive oil, vegetable oil or butter. Cooking time includes the baking time as well the frying you do during prep.
Top Review by stonecoldcrazy
This was great! I used homemade cream of chicken soup that had tons of onion, garlic and carrot in it, so I didn't add extra onion, but I did fry up a chopped shallot with the potatoes. (omitted the mushrooms as we just don't like 'em!) I sauted the chicken in the bacon grease before doing the potatoes. I used turkey bacon and added some cheddar cheese on top. I'd definitely add more cheese to the casserole next time, mixed right in. Loved the texture of the potatoes. YUM!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 medium vidalia onion (Sweet)
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 large potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup canned mushroom (1 Cup Fresh)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook the bacon; crumble and set aside; reserve bacon grease.
- Peel and cube the potatoes; fry potatoes in bacon grease.
- Dice the onion; season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and fry in the bacon grease.
- Fry the mushrooms in the bacon grease.
- Coat the chicken breasts with melted butter and season with salt and pepper and grill (I used the George Foreman grill).
- After the chicken is cooked, cut into cubes.
- Take Cream of Chicken soup and mix with 3/4 cup broth and season with pepper to make a sauce.
- In an 8x8 glass dish combine chicken, mushrooms, onions and potatoes. Top with sauce and mix it all up so everything is coated in the sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil, top with crumbled bacon and bake an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.