Recipe by lazyme
From Grey Poupon, this stew is delicious. I like to thicken the sauce at the end with a flour/water mixture.
Top Review by Pesto lover
I made this yesterday for dinner and it was well received by all. I used beef shanks instead of stew meat, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. It was just the right combination of ingredients. The mustard is what made it a 5 star dish for us.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stew meat, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard, country style
Directions See How It's Made
- Shake beef in bag with flour, salt and pepper.
- In large skillet or Dutch oven, brown meat in butter.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, wine, broth, water, thyme and basil.
- Simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add whole onions.
- Cook 15 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- Cook 10 minutes.
- Mix in mustard.
- Serve on bed of noodles if desired.