Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Get your iron skillet and make this the old-time way. Tennessee Country Style made by Mom.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 4 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, butter and buttermilk.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Heat a dry 12 inch cast iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add corn oil to skillet, swirl oil around to coat bottom and sides.
- Leave remaining oil in pan.
- Return to high for 1 minute.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and cook on high heat until bubbles start to form in the center.
- Remove from stove.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 40-50 minutes, or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.