Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This make two 8x8-inch pans, so freeze one for another time! I add in a finely chopped jalepeno pepper also. This cornbread is a must with chili!
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (yes, 2 tablespoons, semi-heaping!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt (can use low-fat)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned corn niblets, well drained (I just use one whole can)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter two 8 x 8-inch baking pans.
- In a bowl comnine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons baking powder and cayenne (if using).
- In another bowl combine milk, yogurt, melted butter, oil and eggs; whisk until well combined, then add into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon JUST until combined.
- Stir in creamed corn and corn niblets; mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture between the two baking pans.
- Bake for about 40-45, or until the cornbread test done.
This is good cornbread! It's very thick. I liked the fact that it uses canned corn as well as cornmeal. It was done at exactly 40 minutes. I would recommend making sure that your pan is quite well buttered, as mine stuck just a little bit. I made it exactly as written, but didn't use the cayenne pepper and did use low-fat yogurt. I will make this again.