1/1 Photo of Country Chicken Stew
Sue Lau's Note:
This is one of my husband's recipes. He came up with it after coming in from the herb garden with a handful of fresh herbs. I like it. I hope he goes out there again today! ;) (Prep time does not include time to putter around in the garden)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 chicken legs, skinned and separated into pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 3 medium unpeeled potatoes, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and black pepper
- 1Brown chicken pieces in oil on both sides in dutch oven over medium heat; drain off excess oil.
- 2Add carrots, onion, potato, broth, basil, marjoram, sage, onion powder, paprika, bay leaf, thyme, and tarragon to chicken in pan.
- 3Add salt and pepper to taste; bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 4Add tomatoes with their juice and the wine.
- 5Cover and simmer 10 minutes more or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- 6Remove chicken to platter; discard bay leaf; and skim fat.
- 7Stir cornstarch mixture into stew and stir constantly until thickened.
- 8Adjust taste for salt and pepper, and return chicken to pan.
- 9Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
- 10Serve with parsley dumplings, or over split biscuits, if desired.
- 11Tastes good just as it is, too.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (864 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 667.3
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 265.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 39.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: