Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Healthy Homestyle Cooking. It is the first gumbo I ever made from scratch, and I love it!
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth, defatted
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (about 2 breast halves)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Lightly spray an unheated large skillet with no-stick spray. Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the flour. Cook and stir until the flour turns reddish brown.
- Slowly stir in the broth. Then add the chicken, okra, onions, celery, garlic, black and red peppers and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Serve over rice.