Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Inspired by Mr. Food
- 2 -3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 6 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon penzeys French thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground fine
- 2 cups long grain rice
- Bring all the ingredients except the rice to a boil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Allow to boil for 35 minutes, covered.
- Add the rice and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender, no pink remains in the chicken, and the chicken juices run clear.
Tested this one out a few nights ago and I had a few thoughts...First, when you get to the part where you add the rice and cook further, I recommend you do that on a really LOW simmer, because even though I thought I had it low enough, the rice mixture scorched some in the bottom of the pan...Secondly, the rice mixture simply didn't reheat well as leftovers, I threw it away, but kept the leftover chicken...Speaking of the chicken, WOW was it tender! When I tried to remove everything from the pot, the chicken fell apart! Popped a piece in my mouth and it was terrific! I just wish I could do something about the rice part...UPDATE: I made it again and while the rice didn't scorch this time, I still didn't like the rice freshly cooked nor when reheated...I only liked the chicken part...Wish I could give a better rating, sorry!