Recipe by Mary Butterfield
Inspired by Mr. Food
Top Review by Cookin'withGas
Tested this one out a few nights ago and I had a few thoughts...First, when you get to the part where you add the rice and cook further, I recommend you do that on a really LOW simmer, because even though I thought I had it low enough, the rice mixture scorched some in the bottom of the pan...Secondly, the rice mixture simply didn't reheat well as leftovers, I threw it away, but kept the leftover chicken...Speaking of the chicken, WOW was it tender! When I tried to remove everything from the pot, the chicken fell apart! Popped a piece in my mouth and it was terrific! I just wish I could do something about the rice part...UPDATE: I made it again and while the rice didn't scorch this time, I still didn't like the rice freshly cooked nor when reheated...I only liked the chicken part...Wish I could give a better rating, sorry!
- 2 -3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 6 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon penzeys French thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground fine
- 2 cups long grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring all the ingredients except the rice to a boil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Allow to boil for 35 minutes, covered.
- Add the rice and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender, no pink remains in the chicken, and the chicken juices run clear.