Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is great to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes. This also is a pretty bread to serve slices as an appetizer or it works well with roast beef, roast chicken, etc. Be careful not to let the loaf overrise during the second rising. The top is supposed to look shriveled and sink.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water, 105F to 115F
- 1⁄3 cup warm milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, heese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (3 ounce) jar pimiento
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cubed swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, butter, salt, potato and cheese.
- The mixture should be lukewarm when adding the dissolved yeast.
- Stir in the flour, half a cup at a time. Beat into a stiff dough.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if needed.
- Let rise until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Combine the filling ingredients.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle, 1/2-inch thick.
- Spread with cheese mixture.
- Roll up the dough beginning at the wider side.
- Let rise, covered, on baking sheet until almost doubled, 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut a deep slash in top.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a rack.