Recipe by mielhollinger
No one will ever know that this vegan version of an all-time classic is so easy to prepare. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
Top Review by bekbek
This cake was very easy, and it turned out pretty well. It was a little denser than what I was expecting, and not very "carroty" -- actually more like a spice cake with carrots. I was kind of distracted when I was baking; I accidentally added 1 tsp of salt and omitted the vanilla entirely. I'll probably use 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of vanilla next time. I also omitted the grated ginger, increased the cinnamon to 1.5 tsps. and added 1/2 tsp. dried ginger and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Overall, it was good but not fabulous.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup dry sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- egg substitute (to equal 1 egg)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the milk, vanilla, oil, egg replacer, carrot, and ginger and mix together gently until just mixed.
- Pour into a lightly oiled cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Check with a knife to see if done.
- When cooled, ice and serve.