Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
No one will ever know that this vegan version of an all-time classic is so easy to prepare. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup dry sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- egg substitute (to equal 1 egg)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the milk, vanilla, oil, egg replacer, carrot, and ginger and mix together gently until just mixed.
- Pour into a lightly oiled cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Check with a knife to see if done.
- When cooled, ice and serve.
This cake was very easy, and it turned out pretty well. It was a little denser than what I was expecting, and not very "carroty" -- actually more like a spice cake with carrots. I was kind of distracted when I was baking; I accidentally added 1 tsp of salt and omitted the vanilla entirely. I'll probably use 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of vanilla next time. I also omitted the grated ginger, increased the cinnamon to 1.5 tsps. and added 1/2 tsp. dried ginger and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Overall, it was good but not fabulous.