1/3 Photos of Country Captain for the Slow-Cooker
5 hrs 25 mins
Chef PotPie's Note:
This is the only recipe for Country Captain I've ever been truly happy with.It's for the slow-cooker, but there is more prep time to it than usual crockpot recipes. If you wish to make this, though, please don't skip any steps, as the subtle flavors combine to be so good. I adapted this from Cook's Country Magazine, (April, 2006). The dish has it's roots in India, and was carried to the Southern U.S. by British ship captains who sailed the spice routes in the 1700's. This is the way I made it, to my family's delight...and mine! I used my own Mango Chutney Laurel's Mango Chutney because I think it's better than Major Grey's, but you can substitute Major Grey's in a pinch. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed, with bone and skin
- salt & pepper (I use Johnny's) or your favorite seasoning (I use Johnny's)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped coarse
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped coarse
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 12 ounces mango chutney, Laurel's Mango Chutney OR
- 2 (9 ounce) jars bottled chutney, such as Major Grey's Cutney, large pieces of mango snipped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- shredded coconut (for garnish)
- toasted sliced almonds (for garnish)
- 1Heat oil in large skillet, season chicken and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken to platter, let cool a bit, remove and discard skin. Put chicken in crockpot.
- 2Pour off all but 1 Tablespoon fat and cook onions and bell pepper with about 1/2 teaspoon salt until somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add broth, tomatoes and tomato paste and scrape up browned bits and cook and stir until slightly thickened and smooth, only about 3 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and add chutney, garlic, curry powder, thyme, paprika and cayenne.
- 5Pour this mixture over chicken in crockpot.
- 6Cover and cook on low 5 hours.
- 7Stir before serving over white rice.
- 8Add coconut and sliced almonds on top. This is necessary for the most authentic taste of Country Captain!
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Captain for the Slow-Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.5
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 105.2 mg
- Sodium 554.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: