Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was given to me by a co-worker a few years back, and I have been making it ever since...the added currants gives this chicken dish an added kick, I wouldn't dream of not adding them in....this is a popular recipe with my family, I have also made this dish for company.
- 4 lbs chicken pieces, with skin or 4 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 3 -4 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (3 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour and 1/2 tsp pepper together.
- Coat the chicken in flour mixture.
- Brown the chicken in olive oil; remove keep warm.
- In same frypan cook onions, peppers and garlic in remaining oil until soft.
- Stir in curry, salt, pepper and thyme; stirring to blend.
- Add in the tomatoes and parsley (breaking up the tomatoes with a fork).
- Heat and stir the mixture for a few minutes.
- Spread the browned chicken pieces in bottom of casserole dish.
- Pour the tomato/onion mixture over the chicken.
- Cover, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the chicken from the casserole and stir in the currants.
- Prepare the cooked rice in a casserole.
- Pour the cooked sauce over rice, place the chicken on top.
- Sprinkle with almonds over all.