1/1 Photo of Country Captain Chicken
1 hr 15 mins
A tomato based chicken stew. Serve with rice for an easy, healthy meal. It's really delicious and almost hard to stop eating! Because my father wouldn't eat this, it was served only when he was out of town. I've updated it with fresh mushrooms, in lieu of canned, better curry mixes, and serve it with basmati or jasmine brown rice. Add zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower for added health. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years. It's one of my comfort foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut in 1/8ths
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for browning chicken
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry, blend
- black pepper
- 1Flour and brown chicken in pot. (Remove skins before hand if you prefer.).
- 2Remove chicken and set aside on a platter.
- 3Sautee garlic, onion and mushrooms in same pot until onion is translucent. No need to add more oil.
- 4Add spices, then wet ingredients, then browned chicken.
- 5Simmer 45 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked through.
- 6Per your preference, serve chicken whole over rice, or remove meat from bones, and add back into stew.
- 7Cooking with the bones in adds a lot of flavor.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Captain Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.8
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 747.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 40.4 g