Recipe by Kirby
A tomato based chicken stew. Serve with rice for an easy, healthy meal. It's really delicious and almost hard to stop eating! Because my father wouldn't eat this, it was served only when he was out of town. I've updated it with fresh mushrooms, in lieu of canned, better curry mixes, and serve it with basmati or jasmine brown rice. Add zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower for added health. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years. It's one of my comfort foods.
Top Review by Kitchen Musician
Excellent!!! I used chicken thighs and seasoned the flour with salt & pepper, so I was able to cut back on the full teaspoon of salt. We're not too crazy about mushrooms so the last 10 minutes of cooking time, I stirred in ½ cup of raisins which beautifully complimented the curry. A definite keeper, thank you.
- 1 whole chicken, cut in 1/8ths
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil, for browning chicken
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry, blend
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Flour and brown chicken in pot. (Remove skins before hand if you prefer.).
- Remove chicken and set aside on a platter.
- Sautee garlic, onion and mushrooms in same pot until onion is translucent. No need to add more oil.
- Add spices, then wet ingredients, then browned chicken.
- Simmer 45 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Per your preference, serve chicken whole over rice, or remove meat from bones, and add back into stew.
- Cooking with the bones in adds a lot of flavor.