Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this stuff. Easily I could make a meal out of it.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove from skillet, set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions, celery and green pepper, cooking until tender, but not brown.
- Add cabbage, sugar, salt, pepper and tomatos.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover and cook 5-8 minutes.
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve.
A wonderful surprise! This is not the typical cooked cabbage dish. The celery and cabbage retain some of their crunch while adding flavor to to the dish. It's like eating a hot salad with a complexity of flavors. Cabbage combined with smokey bacon, tomatoes sweetened by onions, green pepper and a bit of sugar and celery which adds an oriental twist. A very colorful dish with great flavor and texture. Thanks MG, for a new cabbage favorite!
And I don't even like cooked cabbage!, but this is really good! I only cooked the cabbage to crisp-tender as I am a texture-sensitive person, and I like the crunch. I served it with [recipe=43114]Uncle Larry's Texas Short Ribs 43114[/recipe] and it was the perfect side dish.
Sorry - I forgot the stars - here they are.