Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This turns out more like a souffle. It is assembled the night before. Delicious!
- 16 slices firm white bread
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham (I use a ham steak)
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups uncrushed corn flakes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Trim crusts from bread; cut slices in half.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inches baking pan (or slightly larger) and layer as follows: Cover bottom of pan with one-half of bread, one-half of ham and one-half of each of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Combine eggs, milk, and seasonings.
- Pour over layers; refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake 375 for 45-55 minutes (cover loosely with foil to prevent top from over browning).
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares.