Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A one-dish casserole with all of your Sunday morning favorites: sausage, gravy, eggs, cheese, and toast. A little different from most breakfast casseroles, as the bread goes on top and is nicely toasted when this recipe is complete. I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com, and tweaked it to my own tastes. I hope you like it, it's one of my favorites.
- 16 ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (2 2/3 ounce) package country gravy mix
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9"X13" casserole dish.
- Brown sausage in a skillet, drain well.
- Combine sausage with green onion and spread evenly across the bottom of the baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Whisk together eggs, water, milk, gravy mix, and salt and pepper to taste; add mixture to baking dish. Arrange bread squares evenly on top. Drizzle melted butter over bread, and sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside 10 minutes before serving.
This is a wonderful breakfast casserole. We love the country gravy in it. Thanks for posting.
Awsome!! Took a chance on this recipe and now we (the family) can't wait till Saturday
morning breakfast. note: in place of an onion we use scallions. Of course when freinds or
family come over I tell all that this is something I came up with... hehe. What they don't
know wont hurt them.
Very good! I picked this casserole for Christmas morning breakfast. I backed off on the onion amount out of family preference. This will be a regular at our house for special holiday breakfasts. Second day left overs are just as tasty. Thanks Lacer!