Recipe by Lacer
A one-dish casserole with all of your Sunday morning favorites: sausage, gravy, eggs, cheese, and toast. A little different from most breakfast casseroles, as the bread goes on top and is nicely toasted when this recipe is complete. I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com, and tweaked it to my own tastes. I hope you like it, it's one of my favorites.
- 16 ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (2 2/3 ounce) package country gravy mix
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- paprika (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9"X13" casserole dish.
- Brown sausage in a skillet, drain well.
- Combine sausage with green onion and spread evenly across the bottom of the baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Whisk together eggs, water, milk, gravy mix, and salt and pepper to taste; add mixture to baking dish. Arrange bread squares evenly on top. Drizzle melted butter over bread, and sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside 10 minutes before serving.