A package of country gravy mix makes this casserole different. You can make it the classic way, or healthier by subtituting low fat sausage, egg substitute and less cheese. Whichever you choose, enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a skillet, cook crumbled sausage in large skillet over medium heat until brown, stirring occasionally. Remove sausage and drain on paper towel.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Place in 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese and then sausage evenly on top.
- In a blender, mix eggs, milk and Gravy Mix. (You could also use the Sausage Country Gravy mix instead) Pour mixture over bread, cheese and sausage.
- Bake covered lightly with foil for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 or 10 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the night befoe: You can cover the dish and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, bake 50 minutes then 10.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This turned out great! I did cut the recipe in half and baked it in a 8x8 pan since I didn't really need 12 servings. I also didn't make the healthy version lol! I used a bold country sausage and white bread instead of the reduced fat and whole wheat. Thanks, this one is a keeper!
This is wonderful! I used turkey sausage, lite bread, egg beaters, skim milk, country gravy mix, and lite cheddar cheese. I did have to bake closer to one hour. I also cut into 12 servings which took the calories down to 225/serving. Very tasty! Thanks for posting!!
I made this for our Sunday brunch and we loved it. THe gravy mix adds that someting special to the dish. Thank you for sharing with us.