Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A prize-winning bread best served with ripe cheese, butter and red wine.
- 1 ounce fresh yeast or 1 package dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups coarse wheat flour (graham)
- 3 cups ordinary wheat flour
- 5 ounces walnuts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (preferably walnut oil)
- Heat the oven to 325 F/ 175 degrees C.
- Mix the walnuts with 1 tbsp of the oil and roast lightly in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Let cool and chop them coarsely.
- Dissolve the yeast in the water (if using dry yeast, follow instructions).
- Add the salt, oil, graham, nuts, and most of the flour.
- Knead vigorously for five minutes.
- Let rise to double size (about one hour).
- Heat the oven to 450 F/ 230 degrees C.
- Knead and make one loaf.
- Place on a tray and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Make a few cuts in the loaf with a razorblade.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F/180 degrees C and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Let cool uncovered.