Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit, and originally included raisins. We modified it to fit our taste and love it every Thanksgiving
- cooking spray
- 16 cups sourdough bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 one pound loaves)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 -4 large red onions, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 1⁄2 cups celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray 2 large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix half of bread pieces with 3 tablespoons oil and toss to coat, then add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss.
- Spread bread in single layer on 1 prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining bread, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 cup cheese; spread on second sheet.
- Bake bread until golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets. Transfer to very large bowl.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter with remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery, and bell peppers; sauté until vegetables begin to brown and are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic, rosemary, and oregano; stir 1 minute. Add pine nuts; stir 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread.
- Stir 1/2 cup basil and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan into stuffing. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix eggs into stuffing.
- To bake stuffing in turkey:.
- Loosely fill neck and main cavities of turkey with stuffing. Add enough broth to remaining stuffing to moisten slightly (1/4 to 3/4 cup, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Generously butter baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake stuffing in dish along side turkey until heated through, about 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing. Bake until top of stuffing is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- To bake all of stuffing in baking dish:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously butter 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish, depending on recipe. Add enough extra broth to stuffing to moisten (3/4 cup to 1 1/4 cups). Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake until heated through, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 20 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup basil over stuffing and serve.