Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 cup bran flakes (cereal)
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
- Combine bran flakes cereal and boiling water in bowl.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in bran flakes mixture and all-bran into creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with butter/sour milk to creamed mixture, mixing just enough to moisten.
- Spoon batter into well-greased 1 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups, filling 2/3rds full.
- Bake in 400 degree F. oven 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter and jam.
- Batter can be stored for a few days in the refrigerator.
- Bake as directed.