Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
The next time you bake biscuits, make them country-style and get a little rise from the yeast as well as the baking powder and baking soda. Serve Southern-style with cream gravy or with creamy butter and honey or jelly. From an old newspaper clipping.
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease baking sheet.
- Soften yeast in water.
- Sift flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium sized bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour buttermilk over cereal; mix well.
- Add to dry ingredients with yeast mixture.
- Mix just until well-moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons two inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve warm.