Recipe by JustJanS
It's winter here, so my thoughts are turning to comfort food. This is a warming, filling stew from Family Circle.
- 1 kg chuck steak, cut into 3 cm cubes (1 1/4 inch)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup plum jam
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C/350°F).
- Toss the meat in the flour.
- heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy based pan and brown the meat in batches over a medium high heat.
- Drain and remove to a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the onion and garlic, stirring for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Combine onion and meat in bowl.
- Add the remaining casserole ingredients and stir well.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Uncover the dish, turn the oven up to hot (240°C/475°F).
- Place the herb scones on top of meat and bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
- Herb Scones: Sift the flour into a bowl, rub in the butter, then stir in the herbs.
- Add the milk and stir until just combined.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth.
- Press dough out to a 4cm (1 1/2 inch) thick round.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) rounds.