Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "The Good Carb Cookbook". posted for safe-keeping
- 12 ounces 95% lean ground beef
- 2 cups beef broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained and crushed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage or 1⁄2 medium head of cabbage
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Coat a 4 quart pot with nonstick cooking spray and add the ground beef. Place the pot over medium heat and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer than pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cabbage and kidney beans, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and kidney beans to the pot and raise the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and the flavors are well blended.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve hot.
I have Sandra Woodruff's Good Carb Cookbook, and I have made this many times. In fact I'm making this for supper tonight. Good stuff!