Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Easy, cheap, healthy and delicious! What more could you want from a recipe?
- 2 cups mixed dried beans
- 2 quarts water
- 2 ham or 2 smoked pork hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Wash beans and place in large kettle.
- Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans.
- Add water and ham or pork hocks.
- Bring to a boil and simmer slowly at least 3 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer one hour.
- Remove bones and any large pieces of fat and if there are large chunks of meat, shred them and return them to the pot.
I make a recipe very similar to this, that was given to me by an old neighbor. The main differences are that my recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of beans and 1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and mine doesn't call for garlic. The 2 1/2 cups of beans is specified as a 1/2 cup each of green split peas, red beans, black-eye peas, baby limas, red kidney beans, pink beans, small white beans, navy beans, and black beans. Any more I just buy the 15-bean mix bag at the supermarket and use that. I also use 4-6 ham hocks or a genorous 2-4 cups of cubed ham. I like to make this for New Year's. It makes at least 12 servings for us and I have lots of leftovers. I love this soup.
I had a big ham bone from a spiral ham. So I threw it in the crockpot overnight and the next day added cooked beans and the remaining ingredients, except the lemon juice as I did not have any. I also added 2 diced potatoes. The first day it was good, but the second day i was great. I served it with a little sour cream. Thanks for a great tasting, filling and low fat soup.