This is similar to a stuffed cabbage soup, with beans substituting for the rice. I am on the South Beach Diet and this soup can be eaten on Phase I of the plan. It's very tasty and easy to prepare. Even if you are not watching your carb/sugar intake, it's a healthy good for you soup. This recipe originated from The Good Carb Cookbook.
- Spray inside of a large size dutch oven pot with non stick cooking spray; add ground beef.
- Cook beef over medium heat until it's crumbly and no longer pink.
- Add beef broth, tomatoes, onion, thyme, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and beans, turn heat up to high and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.