Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This falls under the category: Amazing What a Great Recipe Can Be Produced from Such Humble Ingredients. It's quick and so easy to make too. This is another recipe from my favorite (award-winning) midwestern cookbook "Hollyhocks and Radishes." If you'd prefer, substitute sour cream for the yogurt, but IMHO it tastes just as good, and it's much lower in fat! (Note that this comes from a cookbook from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is technically in Canada, so I'm submitting this for Zaar World Tour Canadian recipes.)
- 8 ounces egg noodles (fine) or 8 ounces eggless noodles (fine)
- 1 small yellow onions or 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian brands are available, if preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions (for fine noodles, boil 3-4 minutes) and drain.
- Mix all ingredients together except for paprika.
- Pour mixture in 2 quart casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking oil.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes and sprinkle with paprika before serving.
This was not at all what I expected. I followed the recipe EXACTLY and I did not care for the flavor or texture. The worcestershire was overpowering. i had about 5 bites and had to throw out the entire batch. I will not be making this again.
We found this a tad bland, butI think it would be ideal for feeding children or picky eaters. I might add some minced herbs or chopped greens for my family's palates.
I made this this morning because I was bored and it was simple and easy. Who says breakfast HAS to be "the norm"? :) This was tasty and I liked the flavor the Worcestershire sauce added. However, the sauce wasnt really a sauce and the onion never really fully cooked. I did eat two bowls though and added hot sauce to my 2nd one which I liked. Thanks again! Made for ZWT4.