Recipe by Amykins
This is my husband's favorite dinner. I got this recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It makes a rich, creamy gravy and is different than your ordinary chicken dish. Definitely nice enough to serve to company. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs chicken, I use boneless, skinless
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pearl onions, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Put butter in a 13 x 9 pan in oven to melt butter.
- In a small bowl or plastic bag, mix together the flour, salt and the 1/8 t. pepper. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture and place them in a single layer in the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, turn the chicken and pour off fat. Add the onions and mushrooms.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the evaporated milk, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, soy sauce and the 1/4 t. pepper.
- Pour the milk mixture evenly over the chicken, onions, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more or until the sauce is heated through and the chicken is no longer pink. Serve over noodles, potatoes, or rice.