1/2 Photos of Country Baked Chicken
This recipe is a slightly modified version of one from the Mama Dip's Kitchen cookbook. We enjoyed it very much. DH, who is used to rating new recipes, said "give it a 7"! The chicken has a crispy, and well-seasoned crust. So easy to make, too. Note: the time listed does not include the 20 minutes of soaking in salt water. Mama Dip's recipes are traditionally Southern U.S.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place chicken in a large bowl and cover with water.
- 2Add 2 tsp salt and stir it around.
- 3Let chicken rest in the salted water for 20 minutes.
- 4Preheat the oven to 375.
- 5Drain chicken well.
- 6Pour the melted butter over the chicken, and stir it around to coat the chicken well.
- 7Place the chicken in a 9 X 13 baking pan, arranged so that the pieces are close together.
- 8Add any remaining butter to the chicken in the pan.
- 9Mix the flour and the pepper in a small bowl.
- 10Pour through a sifter, or small sieve, and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the chicken pieces.
- 11Pour in the cup of water from the edge of the pan so that the water fills the bottom, and does not touch the top of the flour-coated chicken parts.
- 12Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- 13Time will depend on which chicken parts you are using.
- 14Breasts take less time than thighs.
- 15I use a meat thermometer (to about 175) to tell when it's done.
- 16If there are any spots of raw flour on the chicken, just spoon some of the water over it, and return to the oven for a couple of minutes, to crisp up.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Baked Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.2
- Calories from Fat 445
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 287.2 mg
- Sodium 1519.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 82.4 g