Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of our family's Thanksgiving pies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash salt
- 8 cups apples, thinly sliced, about 8 medium apples
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat oven to 425.
- Prepare pastry for Two Crust Pie, 10 inches (food.com recipe #442482). Place the pastry in a deep-dish 9 inch pie pan or a regular 10 inch pie pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cloves and salt) in a large bowl.
- Stir in the apples and cover completely with flour mixture. Place the apples in the pastry lined pan.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the heavy cream.
- Cover with the top crust and cut slits to vent steam. Seal the edges of the crust together and flute them.
- Brush the remaining tablespoon of cream over the top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble up through slits.