Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
pastry can be either round or rectangle. A great dessert.
- for the pastry dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
FOR THE TOPPING
- 4 golden delicious apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- To prepare the pastry, In a food processor all pastry ingredients except water and process for 5 seconds.
- Sprinkle the ice water over the flour mixture and process until the pastry just begins to come together, about 10 seconds. You should be able to see small pieces of butter in it.
- Transfer the pastry to a work surface, gather it together, and pat into a disk.
- Wrap the pastry in plastic or wax paper and refrigerate until chilled.
- FOR THE TOPPING.
- Peel, halve, and core the apples, and slice them crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
- Set aside the larger center slices, and coarsely chop the end slices, and any broken ones. about half of the slices should be chopped.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 12x14 inch rectangle.
- Spread chopped apples over the pastry to with in 1 inch of the edge.
- Drizzle the honey over the chopped apples.
- Decoratively arrange the apple slices on top in circles, or in slightly overlapping rows.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the apples and dot with pieces of butter.
- Fold the pastry edge up and over the apples to create a 1-inch border.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the pastry is browned, and crisp, and all the apples are tender.
- Transfer the pan to a rack, and let cool.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about making this... But I had all the ingredients, so I tried it and WOW! what a surprise! This is yummy! Well received by everyone at my house. Followed recipe exactly but baked about 10 minutes longer. Next time I will try it hot with a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream for a double treat. I made for PLEASE REVIEW MY RECIPE 2013..... Thank you!!! Happy Cooking to you-all! Grpa