Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful, moist cake; perfect for bringing to a potluck or sharing with your family!
Make and share this Country Apple Crumb Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
Apple Crumb Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced crosswise (about 2.5)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9 inch square pan and dust with flour (you can also use nonstick spray).
- For the topping, melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet. Add the apple slices and saute over medium high heat for 2 minutes (stir often). Move the slices to a plate and allow to cool while preparing the cake.
- For the cake, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter (1/2 cup) and cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Gradually add in the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, a third at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it with a spoon.
- To finish the topping, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until you have uniform crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the crumbs over the batter, then add the apple slices.
- Top with the apples with the remaining crumbs.
- Bake the cake on the center rack for 50-60 minutes. When the cake is done,it will pull away from the sides and the top will be golden brown.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
We enjoyed this cake. I did have some problems with the baking time ~ I had to bake mine for 70+ minutes and even then the very middle was a tiny bit underdone when cut into. Other than that, I made as posted. I think the longer cooking time made the cake somewhat dry but not too bad. The topping was delish. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.