Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
Autumn comes alive in this delicious home-baked desert that features warm apples and cherries topped with crunchy granola, walnuts, cinnamon and nutmeg, and served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- 1 (16 ounce) can tart red cherries, pitted (packed in water)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups green apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granola cereal
- 3⁄4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- whipped cream (optional) or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- ground cinnamon (Garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the canned cherries, reserve 1/2 cup juice.
- Add the cherries and juice to a large mixing bowl; sprinkle with the white sugar and salt. Toss to coat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl combine together the flour, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to cherries and toss to mix.
- Combine the apples and brown sugar with the cherries; toss well.
- In a small mixing bowl combine together the granola, toasted walnuts, and butter; set aside.
- Pour the fruit filling into a 2-quart square baking dish (ungreased); sprinkle the granola mixture over the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Cook's Tip: Cover with foil the last 5 - 10 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Serve warm and if desired top with whipped cream or ice cream, and sprinkle with additonal cinnamon.