Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from Pillsbury classic cookbooks March 2001 A taste of the Bake-Off contest. Recipe Submitted by Beverly Healy. Cake is made by using bread and muffin mix.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) package nut quick bread mix
- 3 cups apple pie filling (from two 21 oz cans)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Sauce and Topping
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- vanilla ice cream (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine oil and eggs; beat well. Add quick bread mix, apple pie filling, cinnamon, nutmeg; stir 50-75 strokes with spoon until mix is moistened. Stir in nuts from foil packet and 1/2 c chopped walnuts. Spoon into sprayed pan; spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 43-50 minutes or until cake is deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter and whipping cream; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- To serve, cut warm cake into squares; place on individual dessert plates. Top each serving with warm sauce. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- High altitude (above 3500 feet): add 1/4 cup flour to dry quick bread mix. Bake as directed above.
thought this was pretty good, but next time i will make it with peach pie filling instead of the apple. i'm not a huge apple pie fan, so i think i will really like the peach. also, i didn't want to go to the trouble of cutting this cake into individual pieces to top with the caramel sauce, so i simply sliced the cake in the cake pan and poured the sauce all over the cake. it soaked down into the pieces because of the cuts and was super gooey and yummy on top! we also ate ours with a caramel swirl ice cream for even more sweetness & it was awesome!
Another great recipe. Instead of using the sauce and topping I used a Caribben Banana Carmel Sauce that I bought at a culinary store and put about a half a cup on top of the cake after it cooled.