Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 mins
From the cookbook Pancakes and Waffles as printed in Quick and Simple Magazine May 2006. If you wish, one half teaspoon of pure extract, such as hazelnut or vanilla can be substituted for the liqueur.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar (if using sweetened cocoa powder, omit the sugar)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (original recipe specified 3 tablespoons-read intro) or 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (original recipe specified 3 tablespoons-read intro)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder or 4 tablespoons instant espresso coffee powder
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- powdered sugar
- fresh mint leaves
- WHIPPING CREAM: Using an electric beater, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Beat in the cocoa powder, sugar (and liqueur if using.).
- Cover and refrigerate until needed. Best to prepare the whipping cream just before serving the waffles.
- WAFFLES: Preheat waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and the salt.
- Over low heat in a small saucepan, combine the chocolate, brewed coffee, butter and instant coffee powder. Stir ingredients until melted and blended. Be careful not to burn the mixture! Remove pan from heat and cool slightly.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk and cooled chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl beat the egg whites until stiff and glossy peaks form. Gradually add the egg yolk/milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix **just** until blended. DO NOT overmix. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour approximately 1 cup of the waffle batter into the preheated waffle iron. (Less batter if you have a small waffle iron.) Close lid and cook until waffle is crisp, about 4 minutes total.
- Remove the cooked waffles to a warming tray and continue with remaining batter until all waffles are baked.
- Serve immediately, topped with a dollop of the whipping cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a garnish of 1 or 2 mint leaves.