Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
A fluffy, moist wheat and oat bread with a crisp crust. Perfect for baking bread without an oven in the summer.
Top Review by leasilanos
This recipe is awesome! Almost too easy. I used a round Pyrex baking dish that I suspended above the water with a canning jar ring. The bread rose nicely (just like the picture)and did not crumble when cut. Wonderful for sandwiches! Also, make sure to lightly cover the top of the bread with foil or parchment paper. Otherwise, the moisture that collects on the underside of the lid will drip onto the top of the bread and cause it to be soggy.
- 14.79 ml yeast
- 59.14 ml warm water
- 236.59 ml warm skim milk or 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml rolled oats
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml honey
- 1 whole egg
- 59.14 ml wheat germ
- 650.62 ml whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a deep metal or glass bowl or 1 lb coffee can (we use a glass 18 cm Pyrex soufflé dish); turn slow-cooker on high to preheat.
- Dissolve yeast in water; combine with milk, oats, salt, oil, honey, egg, and wheat germ.
- Add flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Turn dough immediately into bowl or can; cover LOOSELY with foil.
- In bottom of slow-cooker, place 1/2 cup of water and a trivet or some crumpled foil.
- Place can or bowl on this; cover and bake on High for 3 hours.
- Note: sides of bread brown and crisp beautifully, top will slightly brown and be soft to touch.
- Yield: 1 medium sized loaf of bread.