Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tasty meat! Excellent sauce! From John Owen via The Seattle Intelligencer (great name for a newspaper, huh?) If your meat is a cheaper cut, you might want to tenderize it first. Or simmer it for a longer period of time. Once I used bison; it was great. I don't always use the cheese.
- 2 lbs top round steaks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced (I used more)
- 1⁄2 cup beef bouillon
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- With a knife, score the steak lightly on both sides. Mix together the flour, salt, paprika, coffee and garlic powder. Rub into both sides of the steak.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Brown the meat on both sides, then add the onions, bouillon and wine.
- Cover the pan and simmer ingredients about 90 minutes or more until tender, adding more bouillon if needed.
- When meat is tender, sprinkle with cheese and serve.