Recipe by Southern Polar Bear
This is a very soft and light cheesecake, not heavy and dense like New York cheesecakes.
Top Review by kellychris
This is WONDERFUL!! It is like a cheesecake with an angelfood cake texture - but softer. It's kinda like eating a "dense cloud". And it's not too sweet, but just sweet enough. Pure cheesecake heaven!! This will be made many times over at my house and on special occasions. Thanks so much!! Made for Unrated Asian tag of 2009.
- 141.74 g extra finely granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 56.69 g butter
- 255.14 g cream cheese
- 3 fluid ounce fresh milk
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 56.69 g cake flour or 56.69 g superfine flour
- 28.34 g cornstarch
- 1.23 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare an 8-inch round cake pan by lightly greasing and lining the bottom and sides of it with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper. Note: You don't want to use a springform pan unless it is water tight because this cake is baked in a water bath.
- Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler.
- Cool the mixture.
- Fold in the flour, cornstarch, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.
- Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Add the sugar into the egg white mixture and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Add the egg white mixture to the cheese mixture.
- Carefully fold until well blended! Do not overmix or the cheesecake will be dense and heavy.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until set and golden brown.