Recipe by True Texas
This cake has many names according to the newspaper, Pig Pickin' Cake, Turkey Cake, Sunshine Cake or Nancy Ware Cake. This cake must be kept refrigerated.
Top Review by Moonchild64
Now this is the recipe I grew up with. I am a Georgia girl and we called it a Pea Pickin' Cake. We called it that because it was the perfect, light cake to have after a hot day in the sun pickin peas. :) Unlike most cakes, this one doesnt sink to the bottom of your gut with a huge thump. :) I am not a big cake eater though the rest of the family adores them. However, this is the cake I am making today for my birthday because it is one cake I absolutely love!
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, with juice
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Icing recipe follows
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (8 -9 ounce) containerdessert whipped topping
- 1 (3 ounce) vanilla instant pudding mix, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cake mix, oranges and juice, eggs and oil in electric mixer until orange slices are broken up and batter is fluffy - about 3 minutes.
- Divide among three greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans and bake at 350°F, about 20 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool on rack. When layers are cool, ice between layers, sides and top.
- Icing directions:.
- Blend pineapple and juice, dessert topping and dry pudding mix until well mixed. Keep under refrigeration until used.