Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This cake has many names according to the newspaper, Pig Pickin' Cake, Turkey Cake, Sunshine Cake or Nancy Ware Cake. This cake must be kept refrigerated.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, with juice
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Icing recipe follows
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (8 -9 ounce) containerdessert whipped topping
- 1 (3 ounce) vanilla instant pudding mix, uncooked
- Mix cake mix, oranges and juice, eggs and oil in electric mixer until orange slices are broken up and batter is fluffy - about 3 minutes.
- Divide among three greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans and bake at 350°F, about 20 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool on rack. When layers are cool, ice between layers, sides and top.
- Icing directions:.
- Blend pineapple and juice, dessert topping and dry pudding mix until well mixed. Keep under refrigeration until used.
Now this is the recipe I grew up with. I am a Georgia girl and we called it a Pea Pickin' Cake. We called it that because it was the perfect, light cake to have after a hot day in the sun pickin peas. :) Unlike most cakes, this one doesnt sink to the bottom of your gut with a huge thump. :) I am not a big cake eater though the rest of the family adores them. However, this is the cake I am making today for my birthday because it is one cake I absolutely love!
I substituted the 11 ounce can of mandarin oranges for the 1 cup of water in a carrot cake mix. It turned out delicious and moist. (The box called for three eggs, so that is what I used.). Thank you for giving me the courage to try this! NOTE: I did not make the frosting.
verrry nice. light, refreshing, not too sweet. perfect for summer. also very easy to make. i love the name. :) thanks for the recipe!