Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love rutabagas! This vegetable is full of vitamins and minerals. It has the added plus of storing well. This dish is delicious served with a dark rye bread, potatoes and coarse grain mustard. This recipe was found on Sons of Norway website.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed and sliced in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 large leek, sliced, including the green top
- 1 1⁄2 cups rutabagas, cubed
- 3⁄4 lb bratwursts or 3⁄4 lb kielbasa
- salt and pepper
- Bring the vegetables to a boil in chicken stock; reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove the skin from sausage, cut in thick slices, and add to vegetables.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer covered for a few minutes.
- Serve with coarse grain mustard, dark rye bread and boiled potatoes.
This was Really Good! I was hesitant that there was no seasoning added but with the other good reviews, decided to try it and am very glad I did. My only changes were to add a couple of potatoes and to brown the slices of kielbasa before adding them. The ingredient flavors meld together into a wonderful meal.
What a great dish! The sausages are so good with the veggies. The leek turned out to be better than I thought. I love rutabaga and this dish is made for it lol Thanks Paula :) Made for ZWT9
I made half the recipe and cubed 1 potato into the pot with the rest of the veggies. I used kielbasa and served with heavy, crusty sourdough rye with real butter! I love rutabaga and this is a great comfort food combination. Thanks for sharing Paula! Made for Zwizzle Chicks for ZWT6.