8 hrs 20 mins
I never knew what to do with a cottage roll, but people always bought them like crazy at our store when they went on sale. So I finally bought one and searched for recipes. This is a modification, as the original had too many veggies for it all to fit in the crock pot, and I wanted to make this a crock pot dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs cottage roll
- 4 potatoes, white, small, halved
- 1 sweet potato, large, cut into 4 sections and halved
- 2 carrots, large, 2 inch slices
- 2 parsnips, large, 2 inch slices
- 1 apple, granny smith, sliced
- 1/2 turnip, 2 inch pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole (not crushed )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups apple cider
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar, brown sugar
- 1/8 cup mustard, yellow
- 1Place the pork cottage roll in a crock pot.
- 2Add the potatoes, onion, carrots, parsnips, apple and turnip to the pot.
- 3Next fill the pot with the apple cider and water.
- 4Take a small piece of cheesecloth (I use a tea ball) and add the bay leaves and peppercorns to it, tie it and drop into pot .
- 5Cook in crock pot for 8 hours on low. If doing on the stove top, bring to boil, then simmer for 2.5 - 3 hours.
- 6When the meat is cooked remove from pot.
- 7In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and mustard together and spread all over the meat. Save the broth, it makes a great base for pea soup!
- 8Place in a 325 oven for 15 - 20 minutes and when the meat is cooked, slice and serve with the cooked vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cottage Roll With Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.6
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 523.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: