Recipe by Mumma=^..^=
I never knew what to do with a cottage roll, but people always bought them like crazy at our store when they went on sale. So I finally bought one and searched for recipes. This is a modification, as the original had too many veggies for it all to fit in the crock pot, and I wanted to make this a crock pot dish.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs cottage roll
- 4 potatoes, white, small, halved
- 1 sweet potato, large, cut into 4 sections and halved
- 2 carrots, large, 2 inch slices
- 2 parsnips, large, 2 inch slices
- 1 apple, granny smith, sliced
- 1⁄2 turnip, 2 inch pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole (not crushed )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups apple cider
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup mustard, yellow
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the pork cottage roll in a crock pot.
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrots, parsnips, apple and turnip to the pot.
- Next fill the pot with the apple cider and water.
- Take a small piece of cheesecloth (I use a tea ball) and add the bay leaves and peppercorns to it, tie it and drop into pot .
- Cook in crock pot for 8 hours on low. If doing on the stove top, bring to boil, then simmer for 2.5 - 3 hours.
- When the meat is cooked remove from pot.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and mustard together and spread all over the meat. Save the broth, it makes a great base for pea soup!
- Place in a 325 oven for 15 - 20 minutes and when the meat is cooked, slice and serve with the cooked vegetables.