Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Also works very well with beans, corn, cabbage, root vegetables, almost anything. Substitute poultry, chicken broth and white wine for a nummy change. Can also use pork, lamb, ground meat, leftovers. Simple recipe to make so it's very adaptable. These can be prepared and refrigerated up to a day before baking. After baking, they can be refrigerated or frozen and reheated in a microwave.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrot, scraped and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup onion, peeled,coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, peeled,chopped
- 2 cups brown cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef, trimmed,1/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth, more,as needed
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 pie crusts
- Heat 3 T evoo in heavy pot, add beef cubes, brown well.
- Add flour to coat beef and remove.
- Scrape pot well, add remaining evoo.
- Heat over medium, stirring crispies.
- Stir in carrot, celery and onion, cook until soft.
- Add garlic, cook for about a minute.
- Add tomato paste, stir until blended.
- Turn heat to high and carmelize vegetables, garlic and tomato paste.
- Reduce heat and add wine, stir well.
- Add broth and worchestershire, stir well, scraping bottom of pot.
- Return beef cubes to mixture in pot, simmer until beef is done through and tender, adding liquid as needed.
- Turn heat up slightly and gently boil until almost totally reduced.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Place ramekins on baking sheet.
- Spoon filling into 6 1-cup ramekins, or oven-proof dishes.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place pie crust on flat surface.
- Roll out to 1/8" thickness.
- Using 4" round cookie cutter, cut enough rounds to top each serving dish.
- Cut out small hole in center of each round.
- Place rounds on each dish.
- Tuck crust down inside edges of ramekins.
- Place sheet with ramekin in preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, filling should be bubbling and crust browned.
This was very tasty! I cut the recipe in half for DH and I and put it in one casserole dish and topped it with the pie crust. Followed the rest of instructions as directed. Will definately make this again! Thank you. Made for Zaar Alphabet Game 2010.