Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the AWW All Time Favourites cookbook
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 kg minced beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 600 g kumara, chopped (sweet potato)
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oil in a large pan; cook mince, onions and garlic until mince is browned.
- Stir in herbs, stock, sauce, paste and wine; simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until sauce thickens; add peas.
- Pour meat mixture into a 10 cup capacity ovenproof dish; spread Kumera Topping over meat mixture, sprinkle with cheese. Bake in moderate oven about 20 minutes or until topping is browned.
- Kumera Topping:.
- Boil, steam or microwave kumera and potatoes until tender; drain. Mash together and stir in nutmeg.
This was a really good family dinner. I unfortunately had no kumera so just used potatoes...I also skipped the cheese to save a few calories. Very enjoyable!