1 hr 15 mins
Cottage pie is shepherd's pie made with ground beef instead of lamb. I was feeling lazy one day and whipped this together using left over mashed potatoes with roasted garlic. If the potatoes have thin skins leave them on. It gives it a nice rustic look. My husband loved this. I hope you do too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled chopped
- 1 piece celery, chopped
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup beef stock or 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch Hungarian paprika (optional)
- 1Boil potatoes until cooked and then drain.
- 2meanwhile slice the top part off a bulb of garlic.
- 3Rub the cut expose tops of the bulbs with 1 T of olive oil. Roast it in the oven. The oil will prevent the bulb from drying out.
- 4Once the bulb is soft and cooked let it cool until you can handle it. Squeeze the cloves out of the garlic bulb into the same pot as the potatoes.
- 5Mash the potatoes and garlic together.
- 6Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 7heat pan and add oil hamburger, onion, carrot, and celery to pan. Cook on medium heat stirring occasional until it is cooked.
- 8Heat broth or water in a pot until it simmers, add flour and whisk over low heat for about 5 minutes. If it does not thicken add more flour.
- 9Add thickened broth the meat, thyme, rosemary, and nutmeg to the ground beef mixture.
- 10Put this mixture in a baking dish.
- 11Spread garlic mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef. I like to keep it a little uneven so it looks more rustic than perfect.
- 12Put dabs of butter on top of the mashed potatoes.
- 13Sprinkle the paprika over the top of the potatoes.
- 14Bake in the oven 30-35 minutes until it is heated through.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cottage Pie With a Roasted Garlic & Potato Crust
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.2
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.9 mg
- Sodium 261.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 29.1 g