- Sauté onions, celery and carrots in unsalted butter or margarine in large skillet just until tender.
- Combine with roast beef, gravy and spices and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes.
- Be sure to remove bay leaves.
- Mixture should be thicker than stew but neither too dry nor too runny.
- Add more gravy if necessary.
- Put approximately ¾ cup hot beef mixture into small, round casserole dish.
- Cover to edges with mashed potatoes, smoothing with knife.
- Mark with tines of fork.
- Sprinkle middle with approximately 2 tablespoons grated cheddar.
- Place under broiler until lightly browned or bake in 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.