- 5 cups cooked roast beef, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups beef gravy
- 1 beef bouillon cube (or equivalent base)
- 3 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- unsalted butter or margarine
- mashed potatoes
- cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions, celery and carrots in unsalted butter or margarine in large skillet just until tender.
- Combine with roast beef, gravy and spices and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes.
- Be sure to remove bay leaves.
- Mixture should be thicker than stew but neither too dry nor too runny.
- Add more gravy if necessary.
- Put approximately ¾ cup hot beef mixture into small, round casserole dish.
- Cover to edges with mashed potatoes, smoothing with knife.
- Mark with tines of fork.
- Sprinkle middle with approximately 2 tablespoons grated cheddar.
- Place under broiler until lightly browned or bake in 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.