Recipe by sarahbeier
Another recipe from "Don't Panic- Dinner's in the Freezer"- with some alterations. The original recipe calls for cheese sprinkled on top and canned veggies. I have always made it without cheese and never missed it- it is very flavorful. I like to use frozen veggies rather than canned whenever possible. I have used frozen corn, and frozen veggie medley but prefer peas in this recipe. This can be made as a large casserole or as individual pot pies.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
Whoops! I just now noticed that the recipe says 16 oz of peas... I used 6 oz (1.5 cups). Not sure if I would like more than 2-3 cups though so maybe that was a good thing. I have another recipe that is similar to this one but the picante sauce is different. I have a homemade mild salsa that I used. Worked perfect! (Haven't tried freezing it yet. Not really sure how to freeze cassaroles without using disposable aluminum.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces frozen peas
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with the onions, drain. Add salt, pepper, garlic. Spread beef evenly in bottom of 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- Layer veggies on top of the beef, followed by tomato soup and picante sauce. Top with mashed potatoes.
- OAMC- Allow to cool completely, then wrap and freeze.
- To serve, thaw completely if frozen and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.