Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is based originally on the Joy of Cooking but while making it one day I had to make a few changes based on what I had in the pantry and what I had time to do. I thought it would be weird but it turned out terrific and always disappears quickly. Also makes great leftovers.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup of seasoned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of cold butter, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- First prepare mash potato topping by boiling the potatoes until just tender.
- Combine potatoes with butter and cheddar cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash and mix ingredients.
- The potatoes should be stiff when finished.
- Set aside.
- Cook carrot, celery and onion in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until they are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add the ground beef (note: you can use beef that has already been cooked or you can use raw).
- If raw, cook until evenly browned.
- If pre-cooked, cook for about 5 minutes Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth and the seasonings, stirring well to distribute.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until it thickens.
- Place beef mixture in a 9 inch pie plate and then spread potatoes over it.
- Distribute the potatoes evenly but they do not need to smooth.
- Randomly sprinkle the cold butter over the top of the potatoes and pop in the oven for 30-35 mins, until browned and heated through.
I think this would have been a better recipe with a lot less rosemary in it. The rosemary overwhelmed it and my husband and I both had a hard time eating it. I think without the rosemary it would have tasted good.
This was easy to make and tasted so good, my husband and my 4 year old son both ate it! And that's not an easy task!! Next time I'll use more meat, but it was very good just as the recipe said.
A great recipe,i forgot I was out of cheese when I made this,but it was still terrific,thanks for sharing the recipe!