Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is for ZWT#6 from the website recipesmaniac.com. I don't think anyone should be intimidated by the list of ingredients or the instructions, it is very clear cut, and not as difficult as it sounds.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sprigs rosemary
- 1 kg tender beef, cut into large cubes
- 900 ml water
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 700 g small onion, peeled and left whole (the pickling size)
- 1 small glass red wine
- 5 cm cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon demerara sugar
- 5 grains allspice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the meat in it. It will produce a lot of moisture but continue until it has all evaporated and the meat starts to turn golden.
- Slowly pour the vinegar over it and, when the steam subsides, add the wine. Then add all the remaining ingredients except the vegetable oil, onions and sugar, cover and cook slowly for 1 hour or until the meat is almost tender.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and add as many onions in one layer as it will take. Sautee them gently for about 15 minutes, shaking and turning them over until they brown lightly. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and spread them over the meat, distributing them evenly. Repeat until all the onions are done.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the onions, cover and cook very gently for 30 minutes, until the onions are soft but not disintegrating. Do not stir once the onions have been added, but rotate the saucepan occasionally to coat them in the sauce.