Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- In a saucepan, combine onion, carrots, garlic and broth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid to make gravy, if desired.
- In a skillet, cook beef until browned; drain.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add reserved vegetables and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- If desired, make gravy with reserved vegetable liquid; serve with pie.