Cook1 hr 30 mins
Cheesy potato-topped beef in a wine enriched sauce adds a special touch to cottage pie in this hearty recipe.
For the meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 -4 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, celery and carrot, stirring them over a brisk heat but not allowing them to brown.
- After 5 minutes or so add the garlic, reduce the heat and soften everything together.
- Increase the heat again and add the ground beef, stirring until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, wine and stock, season and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes until soft and mash them with the milk until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the meat mixture into a gratin dish and cover with a thick, even layer of mashed potato.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 45-55 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Wonderful dish! My family loved it. Just a few changes for us. Instead of red wine I used some extra beef stock and thickened it up a bit with some flour to make thicker gravy. And we can't get cheddar where we live so I used some aged Gouda. We like cheese so I used a cup of it to cover the whole 10x13 pan. Will make this again and again. Made for Photo Contest: Beyond Hamburgers.
I love the taste that the red wine give to the recipe. It's a great recipe. I love it. For me it's perfect. I added 6 mushrooms, sliced. I used beef stock. We added more cheddar cheese on top and no parmesan. I used yukon gold potatoes that I steamed and then mashed with the milk. Thanks English Rose :) Made for the Zwizzle Chicks of ZWT
This was well received from my family including my daughter who has lived in England for a couple of semesters while in school I added the full cup of wine and then decided to cut back on the stock. Glad I did as with about 1/2 cup stock the consistency was perfect. I did need to use additional milk to make the potatoes creamy. Made and enjoyed for *ZWT6*